Mike Marlow

"Dukester" wrote in message
I have a small but dedicated 20x24 shop I built last year. For various
rea$ons I never got around to insulating the attic before winter and ran

the
heck out of some electic heaters as a result.

I now have the time & funds to devote to insulating the attic (my celing

is
closed btw). I have R13 in the walls. My question is, will insulating

make
much of a difference with R19 or R30 up there this winter? Also, will it
keep it cooler in the summer as well? I ask because SWMBO is duibious

that
insulation will be worthwhile. There are 2 large gable vents and soffit
vents along the sides.

It will make a HUGE difference. R30 as a minimum if you experience real
winter weather - snow and cold type stuff. R40 won't hurt one bit. Much
more than that and you discover that thing called the point of diminishing
returns. I'm not really sure what's recommended in your part of the world.
Any good building supply store should be able to tell you. You may find
that R30 is what's recommended for you. It's good that you have gable
vents. That's what allows the hot air to escape somewhat and it's what
keeps heat loss from melting snow into icicles - though that's not much of a
problem in Memphis.

--

-Mike-