Eric R Snow

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:09:56 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I have a bunch of presses with 5/8-11 holes that are in poor shape. We
pulled the first plate, 400 lbs - 2.5" thick and started drilling with a "D"
handle 1/2" electric drill. What a bitch! I ground the bit into a spear
point on a 21/64" bit with a slight negative rake and it's still tough. Two
guys and it still is very grabby and ary twisty. Short of a mag drill or
putting the plate on the BP (can't get it there except by mussle) There's
got to be a better way?

Try a reamer. Not likely to grab. But ya gotta hold it straight. You
could drill and ream a 21/32 hole in a block which you clamp onto the
plate to be drilled. Then ream the hole with the block being your
guide and keeping the reamer straight.
Good Luck!
Eric