Daniel A. Mitchell

AL wrote:
Ok, $200 for a shaper of question but probably decent quality. $600 to
ship. I know absolutely nothing about shapers but have always wanted to
experiment with one. Any comments on whether I should spend the money or
wait for one that is closer to me?

Shapers are very versatile, dirt cheap to operate, and fun to watch.
They will do a few jobs that common milling machines cannot do. The
downside is that they are also slow, and potentially dangerous.

The versatility and low cost tooling is a big plus in the average home
shop. Just be CAREFUL! It's always best to hand crank a shaper (smaller
ones anyway) through one complete cycle BEFORE turning it on. "Wrecks"
on a shaper can be spectacular (and expensive)!

Dan Mitchell
Owner of a Logan 8" shaper.