jstp

After measuring the first window pane exactly (by removing some putty and
measuring exactly from corner to corner) it should be much easier to
estimate the other panes without removing any putty (from your first pane,
you can estimate how much glass is hidden behind the putty).

Also, I have used the Praxi Putty Chaser a few times and it did save me a
lot of time. It doesn't remove everything, but it gives me a quick first
pass. However, note that the adjustment screw tends to slip occasionally and
it has to be tightened pretty hard (but not too hard or it strips...).

"efoley" wrote in message
om...
I've got a boatload of window panes to replace in an old house I
recently bought.
About half are on the second floor and must be done from a ladder.
Making it worse, most of the glazier putty is in great condition.
What's your best advice for approaching this task (other than hiring
someone, I'm getting quotes of $25-30 per pane). Will I be able to
take useful measurements before removing the glass, or do I have to
take out the glass, scrape out the rabbet, measure, duct tape up the
opening, go buy the glass, bring it home, put it in, and move to the
next one? Is there a more factory-assembly-line efficient way to
approach this?

Also, what's my best bet for fast removal of the old glazing putty?