Doug Goncz

Actually if you just set it and run it expecting perfection full depth, what
happens is the cutter and work both deflect such that the climb side is tight
and the conventional side loose. This is caused by the more or less massive cut
forces right at center, and cutter rotation. The cut is deepest at center.

I know this because I mill on a cross vise with *no feed screws* frequently,
and have explored the feel of the cutter deflection both by opposing deflection
with my hand and by setting the gibs to lock with various friction settings.
For me this is true pleasure, and if I had a ball way cross vise with locks,
I'd be even happier exploring this relationship, looking for the stable path
between success and chaos.

It's like a freakin' tent revival. Pre-feedscrew milling technology. Ancient
knowledge.

I tolerance everything and tolerate everyone.
I love: Dona, Jeff, Kim, Kimmie, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
I drive: A double-step Thunderbolt with 657% range.
I fight terrorism by: Using less gasoline.