IMM

Default Making a ruin into something habitable.

nightjar wrote in message
. ..

"Liz" wrote in message
... In fact, I don't want to knock the thing down, and start afresh,
I'd want it to look much as it does now, but with windows and a decent

roof
and to convert the barn into extra space. Very similar to the one I

live
in
now.

Am straight off to the newsagents, the mags I've seen go into doing up

i.e
prettifying, rather than working out costings for access road, basic
services. And getting a mortgage for paying for it. Am obviously

looking
in
the wrong place.

It sound more like the sort of project that gets covered by the magazines
for Francophiles. Rebuilding ruins that none of the French want to live in
seems to be a favourite way for people to get a property in France.
Obviously, the legal bits will be different and, unlike France, we have
surveyors who can check out the structure of the building for you.

However,
you might find some of the practical advice helpful.

Be warned though, it will not be a cheap job. Getting a road and services

the property is likely to run into thousands of pounds by itself.

It must already have access. It is a house.

---