Peter Grey

I should have mentioned that this for use on my mill. I want to hold some
fairly thin pieces for finish work. Double sided tape (in conjunction with
clamps) works for some of the pieces, but when using the tape, the thinner
ones are susceptible to bending when removing them from the table; hence the
desire for something less "permanent".

Peter

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all,

I want to build a vacuum chuck. I'd like to build one that can hold a
piece up to 10" square with the ability to block off some holes and use it
for smaller pieces. I'm trying to figure out what pump is appropriate to
try to find used. In looking at what's available from MSC and others, it
appears as though a pump that pulls at least 26" is about right. How
important is the CFM rating in this application? I'm assuming that a
pump's max CFM will influence how quickly the chuck builds vacuum, and
depending on how much leakage gets past the item I'm machining and its
contact with the chuck, how easily it'll maintain its hold. Any
suggestions about minimum specs I should be considering.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Peter