Andy Hall

Default Battery circular saws

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:15:49 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:42:12 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Are you talking chipboard or TGV?

This is not a huge battery capacity so my gut feel says OK for a few
TGV boards, probably disappointing for chipboard.

Chipboard T&G

That's what I wondered. Seems a little light, but maybe someone has
got one and thinks it's okay.

Do you think it's that big a deal to have cordless for this?

Problem is when you are up in a loft sawing up boards it can get a bit
claustrophobic, and it becomes possible to saw thru the cable. That
takes out the lights and you could be in instant blackness

Or has happened to me several times the cable snags as you are part
way thru the board, and you have to back off, release the cable, then
come into the cut again. You tend to be standing on one end of the
board holding it down whilst cutting (if not, holding it with the
other hand), and it very quickly becomes a game of Twister - the twist
being that you've got a very dangerous weapon in one hand!

So yes, I am inclined to feel that cordless would be a positive move.

When I did my loft I started with chipboard panels and it was a major
PITA. They were too large to manipulate and cut easily, it was fiddly
to get them to an appropriate length to be supported properly and
awkward to cut to fit where needed. I used a mains circular saw and
the exercise was messy and dusty as well. I also found it a real sod
to get the boards to interlock properly.

So I jettisoned that idea and went for T&G softwood floorboards
instead, These are about 110-120mm wide. I bought long lengths
and precut pieces of three different sizes. This made it easier to
manipulate them in a confined space. I then took my small chop saw
into the loft and was able to cut each piece to final length and fit
it really quickly.

I reckon that I saved over a day of time in the whole job. It is
more expensive material, although one can shop around.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl