Bill Rubenstein

I believe that all of the 'shielded' hollowing tools can tend to jam frequently. The line
between too aggressive and jaming is tricky to find. Demonstrators of these tools make them
look easy to use by turning materials which are known to be friendly. KD padauk and bubinga
are not friendly. In fact, I'd guess that no KD wood is friendly.

Further, I think that these tools solve a non-existant problem. Using a well designed
scraping tool inside a hollow form is easy, fast and catches are infrequent if you know what
you are doing. I believe that you are better off building or spending your money on a
trapped system (the Jamieson system, for instance) and using simple tools which cut with a
tool steel scraper bit. I use the John Jordan tools most of the time and mount them in a
home-built trapped system. I can't remember the last catch I've had.

Bill

In article , says...
I just bought the tool yesterday, tried it out and I'm very
frustrated. If I set the gap very small (1/16-1/32) to take a fine
cut it immediately clogs. This is in kiln dried padauk and bubinga.
It seems to clog in air dried black walnut even with the gap set to
1/4 and this setting is way too agressive for me. I tried sharpening
it with a diamond hone in case it came dull out of the factory, but no
luck. Am I doing something wrong or should I just take it back?