George

Cheesehead friend and I have been discussing "feet" versus reveal. The
interior dovetail makes it easier to have a mild recurve (~1/4) to make the
piece look as if it spread from nothing visible. Too many with "feet" look
like they were set on top of something. I leave more weight in the bottom
when I sneak under 1:4 ratio, though. Can get tippy.

Tip for you if you're turning bark up warp and go. Make a real rim around
the recess, stand it an eighth or so beyond whatever reveal you've decided
on. That way after the bowl warps into final shape, you'll be able to sand
the bottom without having fatter section on the ends and thin on the sides.
Just looks better.

"anonymous" wrote in message
I very much favor dovetails. It is
easy to turn the recess and, as nearly as I can tell, they center a WHOLE
lot better than a tenon does. Before I remount it to turn the face, I
calculate the maximum depth I want to turn to so I avoid going too deep
over the dovetail. Then I'll leave the edge intact so I have a reference
point to measure from until I am done machining the interior. From this

rim
I use a straight edge and a ruler to make a simple depth gauge.