Harold & Susan Vordos

wrote in message
snip----
Well, there are Craftsman power tools, and there are craftsman power
tools. Their cheap stuff is pretty well crap. An example is circular
saws. They currently have 4 consumer grade saws, and one professional.
The pro is every bit as good as the Makita 5007nb or Dewalt dw368

Same with the belt sander. 3 consumers, and 1 professional.

The cheap Makita stuff is every bit as bad as the Craftsman low end
stuff. Cheap Bosch stuff too.

You are most likely right.

I think, for the most part, the home shop types tend to use their tools in a
rather light fashion. Certainly not continually, like a guy does that works
with his tools daily on the job. It is for that reason that when I buy a
tool that will get little to no use, I head for HF. If I'm going to get
inferior quality, I fully intend to pay a price in keeping with the quality.
If it serves my purpose for the job at hand, I'm pleased.

I also purchased a ½" Hitachi hammer drill while working on the castle. I
used it exclusively for drilling concrete, so it got little use. About the
third time I used it, perhaps ten days after warranty had expired, the
trigger switch died. Took it to an authorized repair station where I was
told "tough luck" and had to pay for a new one, which promptly died again.
Tough luck I was told yet again, so I never repaired the damned thing and
have never again purchased anything made by Hitachi, nor do I say anything
complimentary about them. The switch was obviously not suited to the
application. All I did was use it as it was intended to be used.
Incidentally, the failure was in the variable speed. The drill continued to
run, just on or off. It did that until about a month ago, when it quit
completely.

Any advice regards buying a new hammer drill that may not get much use? HF?
Can't afford, nor can I justify, a good one, like Hilti, which would be my
first choice if I worked with it daily.

Harold