Prometheus

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:45:30 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

Hi,
I'm in the market for a drill press. Ideally, I'd like to get a
halfway-decent floor style for somewhere in the $200 range. I've been
looking at Grizzly and a few other brands. I was in Menards today and
saw a "Tool Shop" (Menards brand) 16-speed floor-type drill press with
3/4 HP motor for less than $200. It seems to be very solid (we're not
talking Powermatic, but it seems adequate for my needs). The
adjustments, mechanics, fit and finish, etc. seemed sound.
Does anyone have one of these, or know anything about the "Tool Shop"
line of drill presses? Some of the other "Tool Shop" tools seem a
little sketchy, but this one didn't. I'm leaning toward giving it a
try, but if you have any input please let me know!!!

I hate Tool Shop for just about everything- but my wife got me a
little benchtop drill press for Christmas last year with that despised
logo, and I have to admit, it is not as bad as I might have expected.
It's built very solidly, and doesn't have much runout. I've drilled
thousands of holes with the little sucker in all sorts of domestic
hardwoods and weldable (1018) steel using wood/metal, wood only, and
forsner bits (up to 1.25"). I've also used it for little sanding
drums and buffing wheels with no problem. My only gripes with it a

A) It does not have much clearance (but that is a problem with the
size of the press, and not the manufacturing)

B) the screw that the depth indicatior mounts on is made of plastic,
so I don't really trust it to drill holes to a specific depth with
much accuracy (so far it's been ok- I just don't trust it much)

C) The quill is an odd size, so it is not able to accept a hollow
chisel mortising attachment without modification.

Overall, it makes the bits go 'round, and does the job it needs to do
admirably considering the price. If you can afford something better,
It'd probably be a good idea to buy quality the first time- but if
you're on a limited budget, the drill press would be the one and only
exception I'd make when it comes to the Tool Shop junk.

Good luck!

To tell you the truth I wouldn't even bother, it will be Chinese, it will have
"runout", it will be mechanicaly disapointing for assembly and use in one
or several ways, no matter what. So, what if you would spend merely twice
as much on an accurate, properly U.S. made, heavy floor standing machine
of twelve speeds, with free shipping and a full two year warrentee? If yes,
then search for Palmgren on Amazon.com. It will last a loooooooong time!

True for all of it but the drill press, don't ask me why. John Menard
must have slipped up and said "iron" when he really meant "plastic and
epoxy" The little bugger I've got weighs about 70lbs, and it's only
got a 9" capacity.

Alex

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam