Jon Elson

Ecnerwal wrote:
Vague advertisement, vague question...

There's a mill in range which is described as a Cincinnati
horizontal/vertical. Manual mill that's being shifted due to CNC
replacement, supposed to be in good shape, price seems reasonable.

Without having any idea what model it might be, precisely (until Monday,
anyway), my vague question is whether a Cincinnati with a vertical head
(sounds like it might be an optional head on a horizontal mill, but I'm
not sure of that) is likely to be a good bet - ie, it's not a
Bridgeport, and everybody loves a Bridgeport - is that likely to mean
it's not versatile, or tooling is hard to come by, or...

I already talked myself out of a huge, ancient, purely horizontal mill
at a bargain basement price.

The horizontal spindles usually use just a couple of pretty standard
tapers. Can't be too sure what the vertical spindle is. It could be a
Bridgeport head mounted to the support arms, but I think Cinci did
actually make some combo machines that were in the same size range as
a Bridgeport. (They, of course, also made some absolutely gargantuan
machines, too.)

Jon