Cicero

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does

anyone
have
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon

but
they
are not easy to find!

A telegraph pole would probably do the job. They've worked

successfully
for
nearly a century for telephone cables and probably won't sway about

very
much if well anchored in the ground.

But most don't have a 1 meter 'sail' mounted on them !

Also, most SH poles have been removed due to not being fit for the

purpose
they were there to do, have you any idea the damage a falling pole

will
do
or the cost of a new pole ?...

Having recently cut down two 25 foot trees in my back garden using only

axe
and handsaw I think that I have quite a good idea of how large tree

trunks
behave.

The telegraph pole outside my house is about 28 feet tall which is

nearly
double the size required by the OP and it's about 9" diameter for most

of
its length. That size of post, provided that it is well anchored is
unlikely to be seriously affected by a puny 1 metre dish since its

original
foliage would have been far greater.

Consider also that sailing ships used masts of far greater height (up to

80
feet or more) without being unduly prone to wind damage.

Nor are they the diameter of a telegraph pole either, or just 'planted'.
Clue, either the ship moves forwards, backwards or rolls...

A reclaimed pole of
the height required by the OP would probably be very satisfactory in all

but
the most extreme wind conditions

Which is what has to be calculated for, it's not unknown for servier gale
force winds to lash almost any part of the UK you know....

and any other structure (suitable for a
domestic environment) would be no more secure in such conditions.

==============

Total bi**ocks, it's go nothing to do with a 'domestic environment', if he
really needs a mast then he needs to use the correct structure.

============
Rubbish! He's building a structure in his back garden and no reasonable
person would build a grossly unsightly skyscraper with a hundred year life
expectancy when he can build something more aesthetically pleasing with a
shorter life span.

----------

As far as cost is concerned, the OP made no mention of it and so

presumably
is able to afford what he needs.

If cost wasn't an issue I doubt he would be asking here...

============
Pure guesswork - straight from your imagination. People enjoy DIY - and they
ask for information here to do the best job they can.

Again - What was your suggestion - if any?

Apart from the fact that it is a 99 percent certainty that he doesn't even
need the mast you mean ?

He didn't say that he 'needs' to build a mast. He said he 'wants' to build
it.

Any *helpful* suggestions from you?

Cic.