Phil Kangas

"Ernie Leimkuhler"

The Posi Start (slow wire feed for the first arc start) does not work
on this machine. It has its controls blanked off.
- I am assuming that this was an option that this (ex govt) machine
did not have?

Posi-start is not worth the trouble anyway.
We leave it turned off on our Cobras.

Posi-start is rather useful when running constant current procedures,
usually with large dia. wire.

- So my problem is: What controls the wire feed speed on the Cobra?
There is a little multi-turn pot on the handle of the gun. If I am
real lucky, this will synchronously control both push and pull motors,
and all I need is to find a 240-120 trannie and supply power to the
machine on the correct pin. Otherwise I can NOT run this very easily
from my machine, unless by extreme luck I have a machine that has a
15V motor.

That multi-turn pot controls the speed of both motors.

That pot controls the pull motor in the gun, the other motor is a slave
motor of low torque to assist in feeding wire and its speed is not
controlled.

- what worries me is the fact that there is a "Remote wire feed
speed" control option, as if there was an option to feed a signal back
to the main welder to control the speed. This means of course that the
main welder has to be able to control the speed. That could be a
bummer.

Remote speed control is used when the setup is mechanized.

I can start asking the makers, but it's the weekend. Never buy a
strange toy on a Friday! G

What you have is a standard Cobra, with no extras.

Appreciate any help.