Old Nick

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:48:16 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Thanks Ernie. And GOOD news as well! G
Posi-start is not worth the trouble anyway.
We leave it turned off on our Cobras.

Eeeeuw! "OUR COBRAS eh?" G Show-off! GG

But anyway, fine. I assumed it was an "unwanted extra"

That means being able to set the wire speed from the cabinet.

Yes. I was worried that it was some way to send back to the "mother"
welder. But your later comments make me feel better.

Many large CV power sources can output 115 volt AC for motor controls.
Should be simple enough to rig up a transformer, and just plug it into
the wall.

Given your news, that is what I plan to do. I have a 115V - 240 volt
trannie, and I _was_ going to use it for this "in reverse". But it's
not a proper isolation trannie, I have discovered. It is a
centre-tapped trannie. When used in reverse it will be a bit
dangerous, and gives some very suss voltages between the pins at the
115Volt end, under no load (read "if any wire ever came loose etc".)

No the power source just supplies welding power and maybe a 115 volt
source to run the feeder

That multi-turn pot controls the speed of both motors.

Ah! Now there's the GOOD news! Thank you.

I mean...I would have thanked you anyway, but it's much better this
way! G

I can start asking the makers, but it's the weekend. Never buy a
strange toy on a Friday! G

Unbelievable. I emailed them at some ungodly hour on Friday evening,
and had a reply on Saturday! These guys are really on the ball. And I
was completely honest with them about my secondhand purchase, my dodgy
setup and all. I said I would buy a manual if that would help with
setup. The guy responding has _sent_ me a manual, no charge, no
postage, and has asked what my welder is, so he can help me set it up
with the feeder. As far as it goes, you get _service_ for your money
with these guys, anyway.

What you have is a standard Cobra, with no extras.

D'Oh. I wanted the flashy bits! GG

Really apprecaite the help Ernie.