Phisherman

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:25:12 -0700, "buck"
wrote:

I have a lathe that takes MT-1 spur center and MT-1 live center. Seeing
that I don't know much about lathes, what would happen if I put a MT-2 spur
drive into the MT-1 spindle? Would it fit? Would it fall out? Is there a
visual difference between the MT1 and the MT2? Can they be mistakenly
interchanged? I know they have different taper dimensions but how do you
know what you have without a mic or label?

Thanks.... Just trying to Learn!

Morse Taper Sizes

Size Diameter Diameter Length
(small end) (big end)
#0 0.25" 0.37" 2-11/32"
#1 0.37 0.47 2-9/16
#2 0.57 0.70 3-1/8
#3 0.78 0.94 3-7/8

MT sizes go up to #7, but this chart shows the common sizes. Small MT
tapers can be adapted to larger spindles using Morse-taper sleeves.
Having a Morse taper spindle on your lathe is a big advantage to
fitting accessories. There are other taper standards other than
Morse.