Eric R Snow

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:40:49 -0330, "VW Golf Cart"
wrote:

LOL, what is dangerous? And why?

Steve

"Derek" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:22:54 -0330, "VW Golf Cart"
wrote:

I just purchased aluminum rims that were damaged on the lip.
Would it be possible to weld a lip back on it? The chip is not that big,
about half an inch. There's also a few small dents on another rim.
I will get a pic tomorrow.
I'm currently in school doing a year Welding course. I may get my
instructor to help me with the aluminum welding.
I thought about bringing the rims to a place that fixes rims, but that

could
get expensive.

Thanks,

Steve

Don't do it, it's very dangerous.

If this lip is the part of the rim which holds the tire on then
welding may weaken the aluminum at the heat affected zone. The rim may
then fail at speed while you are driving. This may then cause the tire
to come off. If it was for a car I wouldn't do it. A golf cart though
would be fine. But maybe it can be weld repaired and nothing will
happen. I guess it's up to you.
ERS