Simon Hawthorne

Default Refusal of planning permission... what next?

Hi all

For the last 10 months I have been in the process of applying for PP
to convert the first floor of the barn which is attached to my house
into offices (commercial). The ground floor would remain part fo the
house (attached to the kitchen and access through a door).

Well, finally had the application refused, with the notice stating:

Change of use of first floor of barn adjacent to dwelling from
residential (C3) to offices (A2).

My question now is what do I do. In the 10 months this has been
ongoing, I have decided I would rather just keep it part of the house
- but renovate it (sort the roof out, windows, insulate and heat). I
am assuming the barn is currently 'residential' - so would I be
correct in thinking I can renovate it with no further input from the
council? It will look the same from outside - with no extra windows
or doors - other than the whole side of the barn being rendered - the
same as the main house.

Any thoughts/views would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Simon