Richard Sterry

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
I want to build a 5m high tower in my garden to hold a 1m diameter
satellite dish.

One option is to build the tower using scaffolding, but does anyone have a
better idea? I have though of the top of an old electricity pylon but they
are not easy to find!

First of all, you will need to apply for planning permission.

What you need is a section of aluminium alloy or galvanised steel lattice
tower. You can buy them new, but can also be found second-hand as surplus
lighting towers, CCTV towers, that sort of thing - often extremely cheaply,
especially if they are slightly damaged. Radio amateurs generally prefer
more expensive multi-section telescopic versions, where damage can be a real
issue, but in the case of a single section it's not so important as it
doesn't have to fit over or inside another section. For such a short length
(5m), you could just set it (or anchor-bolt it) directly in concrete and not
bother about having it tiltable, which all adds to the cost as you need a
proper base and a winch. Being of lattice construction, it is easy to climb,
unless you're a big scaredy-cat like me!

If you do source a steel one, do be aware that it will be pretty heavy and
will need a very robust estate-car roof rack to carry it. I have carried 2 x
20ft sections (middle and top sections of a telescopic tower) together on
such a rack, but I was really overloading it and I must have been mad! A
single 5m section should be ok, but maybe a bit much for a saloon or
hatchback with roof bars.

Might be worth giving Anchor Surplus a ring to see if they've got
anything...

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/

HTH

Rick