Mal

Default Thickness of ceiling joists in loft

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mal" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:35:55 -0000, "IMM"

wrote:

More misconceived ********. Modern house are not hutches. Many

inter-war
house are hutches

Does a modern house have more, or less,
living space than houses built
in earlier decades?

yes.

Yes they have less living space?

They have more living space.

You are wrong (but then I don't think you actually care that you are wrong).
You have obviously not been inside many modern houses of the kind that the
majority of the population is condemed to live in.

Are the ceilings lower or higher in modern houses?

Not an issue as ceilings needed to be higher for gas lights. Insert
electric lights can be fitted into ceilings.

It is an issue, since rooms with high ceilings are more pleasant to live

in.

Having the "impression" of higher ceilings is what matters.

No. Reality matters. Illusions are for the simple minded.

Are modern houses always structurally sound?

Yes. Foundations are far superior as is the concrete and cement.

Bricks
are far less porous than older bricks.

Do modern houses offer
large gardens?

Some do. Some don't, some are average.

Most are tiny.

Nonsense! most are bigger.

You have obviously not visited any modern houses of the kind that the
majority of the population is condemed to live in, and seen their excuses
for gardens

Are modern houses never built close to railway lines,
motorways, or supermarkets?

Not really. Older house were butted right up to factories, rail

lines,
etc.
I was reading about football stadia the other day. Everton FC in 1906

built
a double decker stand around the corner of an end gable of terraced

houses.
There was a distinct triangle intrusion into the stands seats. Try

doing
that today.

It works the other way round these days.
Now they would build houses right up to a stadium that previously stood

in
an empty field.

They would not.

Using the excuse of "integrated community" they pack in as many houses as
possible next to all sorts of noise and pollution sources.

Do modern houses
have character?

They look the same as older houses.

Ha Ha - they might try, but they fail dismally.

Have you ever seen a modern house.

I've seen loads. Last time I was looking for a house, I looked at around
50. The 1970s era hoses were the worst, closely followed by the brand new
ones. The best houses (most living space, arranged in usefully sized and
shaped rooms, decent sized kitchens and gardens - i.e. the things that
actually matter) were Victorian or Edwardian.