Adam Weber

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

People are asking me what I want for Christmas. They know I have most
everything I could need/want. I am thinking I might ask Santa for a new

set
of chisels. I currently have the Lee Valley boxed set of chisels and I am
reasonably happy with them. I did buy a single 1/4" wooden handled Marples
that I ground to 3/16 and rounded for doing dovetails and it seems better
than my Lee Valley set for staying sharp and not rolling an edge. While I
did buy it at LV a couple of years ago, I just checked and they don't seem
to carry them anymore.

What are people opinions on what to buy in a high end chisel set?

Thanks,

David.

Given a choice, I'd be looking for a nice set of long-bladed paring
chisels...the ones you've got already are great for general work, as are
most of the Japanese, European and American chisels available. I'd also be
checking that the handles are somewhat proportional to the nominal size of
the blades--you know, smaller handle for narrow chisel--"better balance"...

Best,
Adam