Denis Marier

Conversely in making a cost analyze to find out "What is the expense" the
present value approach is the favorite.
Too often I have purchased tools at bargain price only to find out that I
had to replace them with better quality at a higher cost. When working as
an apprentice electrician making $0.72 per hours I purchased my first pair
of plyer/cutter (made in the US) for $6.00. These are still in my tool box
and working great. The other approach is to not tally the cost or buying
what is needed for woodturning and enjoy every moment of it.

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
k.net...

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Barry N. Turner wrote:
$199 for a Jet Mini Lathe. Another $50 for a cheap starter set of

tools.
That's enough to get you hooked. After that, it's every spare dollar

you
can rake scrape or borrow to spend on $150 bowl gouges, $300 chucks and
$5000 lathes. A $100 grinder and $200 for a Wolverine sharpening jig.
Just
joking, but not really, because turning is really, really addictive.

You really need a bandsaw too, or at least some means of preparing the
wood before it is mounted on the lathe.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

===============================
Hi,
I agree with Andrew about needing something to preshape the blank. If the
bandsaw is out of the budget right now, an electric chainsaw is an
economical alternative. However, don't look at it as a permanent cure.

Most
people find that have a much shorter life than the pricier gasoline

models.
With care, they should get you started with blank prep.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX