Denis Marier

I started up with an electric chain saw and now I have a gasoline one.
They both have their uses. On a Sunday morning or during the evenings when
in the garage I use the electric chainsaw. When on field trips I use the
gasoline one.
Felling, bucking to length and ripping in two halves is done right in the
field. As for the bandsaw I have not made my mind yet. Some people are
saying that an 18 inches one running on 220V is the answer. The later can
cost over a $1000.00 plus running a pony panel to get the proper voltage.
The existing one I have is an old 14 inches Rockwell.
It is only good to cut 8 inches OD blank and it is on its way out. For
larger blanks I use the electric chainsaw for trimming. I wish I would have
bought the electric chainsaw with an automatic oilier.

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
k.net...

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Barry N. Turner wrote:
$199 for a Jet Mini Lathe. Another $50 for a cheap starter set of

tools.
That's enough to get you hooked. After that, it's every spare dollar

you
can rake scrape or borrow to spend on $150 bowl gouges, $300 chucks and
$5000 lathes. A $100 grinder and $200 for a Wolverine sharpening jig.
Just
joking, but not really, because turning is really, really addictive.

You really need a bandsaw too, or at least some means of preparing the
wood before it is mounted on the lathe.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

===============================
Hi,
I agree with Andrew about needing something to preshape the blank. If the
bandsaw is out of the budget right now, an electric chainsaw is an
economical alternative. However, don't look at it as a permanent cure.

Most
people find that have a much shorter life than the pricier gasoline

models.
With care, they should get you started with blank prep.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX