Michael Baglio

On 19 Nov 2004 23:04:19 -0500, Jim wrote:

Michael, I obviously need to spend some quality time with you to learn
bandsaw technique.

Hey, I'm nothing exceptional. If I can get a bandsaw to run smoothly,
I'd guess just about anyone can. A reading of The Bandsaw Book, some
time and patience to tune it up, you should be set. Once you get the
thing to track properly and get a good blade on it, the quality of
work they produce is pretty amazing.

(I suppose I should say my experience is with a Delta 14". Can't
speak to how well a smaller/lesser machine will perform regardless of
how much energy you put into it.)

Of all the tools I own this is the must un-intuitive.

Well, as long as you promise not to tell anybody, I'll admit that I'm
so mechanically inept that I don't even get _how_ bands stay on
spinning wheels that are crowned. ; Don't know how it works, just
know it does.

I think it's charlieb here who has a couple of pages on his web site
about the joys of a finely tuned bandsaw and the groovy-all-over
feeling he got the first time he cut some really nice veneer slices
with it. They're worth a read-- maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Someone else here who knows tons more about them than I probably ever
will is "UA100". Might want to ping him for some set-up advice.
(Just don't ask him about co-planarity.) ;

Duginske's Bandsaw Book: imo, a very good investment. Good luck.

Michael Baglio