Old Nick

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:45:35 GMT, mac davis
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Again bigger pipe makes a huge difference.

interesting, nick.. and it makes sense..

Thank god for that! Doesn't happen often....G

I guess the elbow thing is sort of a "damned if you do, damned if you
don't" kind of thing, especially when applied to a cyclone..
I wouldn't want to use my DC without it, but among other issues,
you're adding at least 2 elbows to make it work..

I think it's why MinM was saying don't go across the ceiling. You add
one more right angle to each unit, and probably turbulence at each T
even when the air is going elsewhere. In fact I checked, and a Tee,
flow _through_ (not around)_ the Tee, is about as bad as an elbow,
going round the elbow. Going round from the cross to the leg of a Tee
is a killer. Tees are a real no-no according to this set of calcs.

Sweeping turns help quite a bit. The prebuilt elbow is the killer.

I don't know about cyclones, except that they free up the DC and the
bags so much that _sustained_ performance will be _hugely_ increased.

Inside the cyclone of course, the rules change. The air slows right
down, as you are effectively running a 2' diameter pipe! G