william_b_noble

presuming you have a crafstman hand tool, that was originally guaranteed for
life, the sales person is just plain lying.

Here's a story:
I went into a local sears store to return a small allen wrench that I had
broken. the sales person said "those aren't guaranteed". I asked a second
person, same answer. So, I took my sears catalog and cut out the lifetime
warranty statement, taped the statement and the broken wrench to a piece of
paper, and wrote a note explaining how it was fraudulent to offer a warranty
and then not honor it. I packaged it up, addressed it to the president of
sears in Chicago, and sent it off. Within 3 days I had a letter from the
senior manager saying: "I really wish you hadn't written that letter ....."
with a replacement allen wrench attached. The replacement wrench was
defective (large piece of flashing), so I went back holding the wrench in my
hand. When I entered the tool area, a salesman saw me holding the wrench
and literally RAN over to me and said "I'll replace that right away for you,
SIR", and RAN into the back and got me a new one.

You can imagine the local manager getting a call from the president's office
asking if he wanted to keep his job.....

You may wish to follow this approach.

"Jim L." wrote in message
. com...
Today I tried to return my Craftsman clicker /ratchet torque wrench for a
replacement because the lock-unlock
switch is defective. Sales associate told me they only guarantee hand

tools
having moving parts for one year. Hammers and screwdrivers are examples of
those with the "forever" warranty. Since ratchets have moving parts they

are
only warranted for one year. I don't know what to say about adjustable
wrenches, pliers, gas torches,universal joint sockets, hand braces,tape
measures, micrometers, and so on into the night. Any others run into this
policy? Jim