buck

Billh.... Took your advice and checked out the dimensions and it appears
that the MT1 is .475 at the large end while the MT2 is .700 at the large
end.... so this is what you were talking about the MT2 won't fit "all the
way into" the MT1 spindle.

Thanks to All for help... I didn't know that they were that visually
different in size.

"billh" wrote in message
The MT2 wouldn't fit because its diameter is larger. If you put a MT1

into
a MT2 hole it would be very sloppy and fall out. Without knowing the

easist
way to determine what you have would be by measuring the diameter at one

end
and they are different enough that a ruler would do. Do a Google search

for
"Morse Taper" and you'll likely find a table of the dimensions.
Billh

"buck" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I have a lathe that takes MT-1 spur center and MT-1 live center. Seeing
that I don't know much about lathes, what would happen if I put a MT-2
spur
drive into the MT-1 spindle? Would it fit? Would it fall out? Is

there
visual difference between the MT1 and the MT2? Can they be mistakenly
interchanged? I know they have different taper dimensions but how do

you
know what you have without a mic or label?

Thanks.... Just trying to Learn!