Old Nick

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:40:08 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I did some quick plugging in to a little programme I have that does
air flows.

IIRC the 1HP units claim around 600CFM usually? I imagine that the
figure is quoted with NO pipe on the unit. It is complicated by the
need to push the air through the filters.

These may help. I am not sure of the _absolute_ meaning, as it its' a
complex system. Other may elucidate.

But larger pipe is good.

I _think_ that needing to use 2/3 HP to shove 600CFM through 4" pipe
means that power is _lost_ in the pipe, and will represent a dramatic
drop in performance of the DC, due to the fan's being only partially
efficient etc.

If you were using dead straight pipe, then
- 4" pipe up to 45ft long would need 2/3 HP.
- 6" pipe up to 45ft long would need about 1/10 HP.

So pipe diameter is dramatic on long runs.

I plugged in a couple of elbows:
4" pipe, power went from 2/3 HP to around 1.2HP, each elbow was
about .15 HP
6" pipe, power went from 1/10 HP to around 1/6 HP, each elbow was
about .03 HP

Again bigger pipe makes a huge difference.

Which is why this bit....

The way to get the most
efficient set up is to use a straight run along a wall, maybe 2-3' off the
floor (i.e. don't go vertical up and down from the ceiling).

The best use
for this size is to actually wheel it from tool to tool, or use a length of
maybe 10' of flexible 4" hose.

Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And
then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most
of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a
headache.........