Mike in Mystic

I have a set of the Lie-Nielsen bevel-edge socket chisels, and 3 (1/4", 3/8"
and 1/2") of their new mortise chisels. All are exceptionally well made. I
haven't used the mortise chisels too much yet, but the bench chisels hold an
edge an amazingly long time. The hornbeam handles seem to be as durable as
I've seen (not saying much, really), although I haven't really done heavy
striking on them - just light taps when cleaning up dovetails. They ARE
steep ($250/5), but I can't imagine ever needing another set of chisels in
my lifetime as long as I take care of them.

I also have a set of the Two Cherries chisels, which are also very nice, but
a step below the LN in terms of durability and comfort in the hand.

Mike

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

People are asking me what I want for Christmas. They know I have most
everything I could need/want. I am thinking I might ask Santa for a new
set
of chisels. I currently have the Lee Valley boxed set of chisels and I am
reasonably happy with them. I did buy a single 1/4" wooden handled Marples
that I ground to 3/16 and rounded for doing dovetails and it seems better
than my Lee Valley set for staying sharp and not rolling an edge. While I
did buy it at LV a couple of years ago, I just checked and they don't seem
to carry them anymore.

What are people opinions on what to buy in a high end chisel set?

Thanks,

David.