Tony

I've removed some extensive scratches from CD's.. I learned how to do this
after my JVC cd changer ate my cd's and JVC refused to warranty their
changer or the damage their lousy changer caused.

I took my electric buffer that I use to compound my car, and used some
Liquid Ebony polish/compound and buffed the CD's. What I did was to place
the buffer upside down on the workbench, and hold the CD against the wheel.
Takes out even deep scratches in the plastic. Low wheel speeds are
important. One caveat, I lost my grip on one cd and it flew across the room
and shattered. But out of 12 CD's I salvaged 11, so I consider it a success.

Tony

"Derek" wrote in message
Not quite off topic, but .....

Has anyone here managed to remove scratches from CDs' (compact disks)
in a lathe?

I have a few that have been abused to the point that I can't copy them
and start over. I have tried various buffing proceedures with little
success. Any thoughts on the feasability of making a backing plate and
taking a light pass or two over the surface.

I'm a novice, so advice on chuck speed and tool shape would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.