LRod

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:36:28 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:19:26 +0000, Steven and Gail Peterson wrote:

There are more concerns. Ripping hardwood on the RAS is about the
scariest thing I do and I avoid it when I can.

Can you elaborate on what makes this a scary operation? I find it no
problem at all with holddown, splitter and anti-kickback pawls set
properly and feeding against the rotation of the blade and using push
sticks to finish cuts.

You've hit on the problem. Almost all of the scare posts I've seen
about RAS' wind up with the user having been so frightened
(unwarrantedly so) by the teeth moving toward them that they fed the
wood from the other side (climb cutting) which is at least 20, maybe
50 times more dangerous.

I, too, find it no problem...even without holddowns, although I always
used the splitter and anti-kickback device (all in one on my saw).

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net