mac davis

Default HF DC - The comedy continues

Got tired of waiting for the hose/gate/etc. kit to arrive... only put
the DC together last night, but when you've discussed the purchase for
weeks before ordering it, you hate to see it sit there not doing
anything..
So, as an excuse to not work, I decided to go ahead and build the
cyclone can..

Checked out several designs on the web.. they all seem to be pretty
much a trash can lid with two 4" fittings, the one used for "in"
connected to an elbow inside to make it swirl, I guess..

Saw an old rubbermaid garbage can in the yard.. perfect! has wheels
and a locking lid..
Went to good ol' Lowes and got 2 dryer install kits and a couple of
extra clamps, came home and cut holes in the lid, put the fittings on
with 1 dryer hose to the DC and ran the other out 6 or 7 feet with an
extra elbow on the end..

Stuck the elbow in the back of the box I made for my RAS and fired
both up.. (waited until the power company had recovered from the
DC-caused brown out then turned on the saw)
Yep.. the folks on the wreck were right.. helps some but not very
impressive on a RAS..

Then I got braver and decided to see how the cyclone did with
something other than sawdust... set the hose down in a box that I'd
swept the floor into last night... "clunk, pop, rattle", all gone and
no sound of the DC impeller getting dinged with a screw or anything!
Pop the top on the cyclone.. my guess is that about 90% is in there
instead of in the DC bag or imbedded in the impeller.. COOL!

Cleaning up was getting fun.. interesting experience, having less
actual "suction" than the shop vac, but SO much volume.. amazing..
Problem was, I couldn't reach much of the garage with the 8' dryer
hose, so I put a 12' 1 1/2" shop vac hose on it, with a redneck
reducer.. (smashed the metal dryer hose down around it and duct taped
the sucker)
Not as much cleaning action as the shop vac, but at least the cyclone
is helping... OH! I should check the cyclone... yep.. looks like as
soon as I went down to the skinny hose, the suction from the DC
collapsed the trash can... it was laying down real dead looking and
almost FLAT!

This learning stuff is fun... when the hoses and gates get here, I
might just suck my neighbors house off the foundation for the hell of
it..

Thanks for letting me rant.. I feel MUCH better now...
I think I'll go buy a metal garbage can..