Tom Veatch

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:18:47 -0600, Johnboy wrote:

I finally retired my shop vac, always had to wear ear muffs. Bought a
Jet DC, the dc 650. Wow! So quite and it was interesting that when I
hooked it up to my table saw, I hadn't cut any wood but it had much
more power than the shop vac. I pulled the table insert, looked at the
amount of dust inside, then turned on the DC and couldn't believe the
dust that the shop vac wouldn't get disappear with the Jet.
SO, I now need to hook up my vents. I've read on the net PVC vs.
metal. It's like cars, everyone has thier own opinion. From what I've
read, I'm leaning towards metal. Will go shopping and compare prices.
I don't have that much to run in my basement shop.
Opinions?

I am currently installing ducting for a cyclone. I'm using 6" PVC, ASTM-D2729,
also known as S&D. Much lighter than the Sched 40 stuff. According to Bill
Pentz's web site http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm it's as
good or almost as good as the Spiral Wrap steel ducting. My cost comparisons
found that the locally purchased S&D PVC was about 1/4 the cost, overall, of the
SW steel, not considering shipping costs.

You don't say whether you're considering the SW steel or HVAC ducting. My
opinion is that you should read what Bill has to say about it before you write
any checks. He also has some things to say about desirable modifications to
commercially available DC units.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA