Jim Adney

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:38:54 +1100 Franc Zabkar
wrote:

It's not a zebra elastomer connection. The copper traces of the flex
cable bear directly against the copper traces of the PCB. The two are
retained with some kind of glue. It's a very peculiar and IMO very
poor connection method. In fact, I've seen more adhesive on a postage
stamp.

I once had a basket case pocket calculator that someone else had taken
apart and destroyed. The damage they did consisted of breaking apart a
cable to board connection that was exactly like you are describing. I
was never able to come up with a repair method, but the one thing that
I thought might be worth trying was some sort of heat & pressure, like
layng a rag over it and then ironing it into place.

It's just possible that the adhesive is temperature sensitive.

I finally gave up and threw the calculator parts away, because I was
just never going to find the time to try to fix it.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA