Pat

It's fixed!

Turns out one of the switches had been pushed slightly out of the plastic
bracket that was holds it in place, although it wasn't real obvious until I
looked closely. When I pushed on the back of it, it snapped back into place
and everything started working again as normal. It must have been knocked
out of place when the door was slammed.

A very easy fix after all, but I would have never found it if someone hadn't
suggested checking it.

Thanks again to everyone. You've save me several hundred dollars. Does
make me wonder how many microwaves end up by the curbside because of simple
things like that.

Thanks again,

Pat

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
Pat,

I generally look in the owner's manual and contact the manufacturer (using
the phone number listed or a visit to their web site) or the closest
authorized service center. Usually you can order parts, especially the
commonly replaced items like the microswitches, diode, HV capacitor, etc.

Another option I've used is at the following repair web site:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0047_6.asp

They handle parts and provide a lot of basic troubleshooting info,

assembly
drawings, etc. for many common appliances in use today. In either case, be
prepared to pay more than what you might expect since you are paying for

the
convenience of having the distributor stock these items and not just the
manufacturing cost.

Good luck and exercise caution when working on the microwave.

Bob

"Pat" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone for all the replies and warnings. I've worked around
electronics before and know stay away from the caps or make sure they're
discharged and everything is unplugged if I must go near them.

If it turns out to be a bad switch (as seems likely) where's a good

place
get a replacement?

Thanks again. -Pat