Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

| No capacitor. Split phase meaning two windings, one with much higher
| resistance to produce the phase shift.
|
| The thing is, it's not only stopping. It acts as a very good brake
| when the condition occurs - hard to turn. This unlike an induction
| motor with only one winding energized which will turn freely and
| then spin up to normal speed once it's going fast enough. This one
| will slow down if you try to spin it by hand. Then make a loud hum
| or buzz at a certain angle of the rotor.

I wonder if the centrifugal switch is failing, but I don't see why that
would slow it down. Most odd.

If it failed to cut out, then the motor would just smoke.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.