Robert Laws

Default acoustic damping solutions

Rachel wrote in message .. .
I'm thinking of buying a ground floor flat with acoustic problems (by
which I mean, them upstairs play music which you can hear from
downstairs and I don't like their taste in Elvis...)

I know it is possible to fit acoustic insulation, e.g., a couple of
layers of special damping fabric designed to take some frequencies out.

Does this work?

No it doesn't. To stop sound transmission (as opposed to reflection)
you need weight. You'd probably need a suspended ceiling (of double
platerboard) not coupled to the existing ceiling (i.e. suspended from
beams running form wall to wall. It can be done fairly easily.

there has been some earlier discussion on this.

Robert