J T

Fri, Nov 19, 2004, 4:07pm (EST+5) (mac=A0davis)
claims:
I went really cheap... snip

So you think. I've got about $7 in one of those little hand pump
flashlights. That and some candles - and matches. I know exactly where
the flashlight is, so I can find it in the dark, and it never, ever, has
bad batteries. Then, if need be, I use it to get to the candles, to
light them, without tripping over anything.

You can still find those flashlights for around $10, some places
are a lot more. Very handy, should get one for the truck. They'd
probably wear out pretty fast, with constant, and prolonged, use;
they're probably almost all plastic inside;, and they don't have a lot
of light, but they're always ready for use, when you need light, and
never, ever, need the batteries replaced. I've had mine for years, and
it still works great.

My older kid got me a combo thingie awhile back. Solar charge,
hand crank, or AC adapter. Has a radio, light, flashing light, and a
siren. More of a gizmo than something real useful, but kinda handy if
the power goes out. Cranking it for the radio is kinda a PITA, because
the power doesn't last long at all. But, better than nothing, and it's
always ready to use. You can get those for around $20-30. Kinda nice
to be alble to listen to a radio, when the power's out.

JOAT
Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.