On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:08:16 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote in
news
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:59:45 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

another sewing machine of approximately the same cost
as a new Laguna bandsaw...

Same rules apply. S/H industrial cost less, work better, and hold
resale value. My big sewing machine weighs about the same as my
bandsaw, but has a bigger motor and a real oil-pan on it that takes a
couple of pints in an oil change. For quilting work it would also
have a _lot_ more room under the arm than any domestic.

Room under the arm is the only reason for the purchase. Second hand
industrial would be great.

I've learned a little bit about rust hunting WRT woodoworking tools. Any
pointers on how to go about this specialty? And what
brands/models/features one might seek?

My checking account would appreciate this greatly. ;-)

Patriarch

Well, SWMBO started out with the same question we hear so often in
this NG.

Where are you and what are you trying to do?

Are you looking for a conventional sewing machine, a sewing-embroidery
machine, an upholstery machine, a quilting machine, etc.?

How heavy is the material you're going to be sewing? How big are the
pieces. What do you need in the way of special stiches, etc., etc.,
etc.

For conventional machines my wife swears by Viking/Huskvarna. She's
bought three of them and we will have all of them. (She also has an
overlock machine and two bedrooms in our three-bedroom house are
cutting and sewing rooms, and there's fabric everywhere, but those are
different issues.)

Conversely, stay away from any Singer made in the last 20 years.
Another once proud name reduced to junk by the bean counters.

Once we've got all that settled, she can probably give you some pretty
good advice on used machines.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?