Franc Zabkar

Default Attaching flex cable to PCB

I've been given a Mercedes-Benz instrument cluster where a flex cable
has come adrift due to mishandling. The PCB is microcontroller based
and interfaces with an odometer via a flex cable. The other gauges
connect via long pins. AFAICS, the flex cable is attached with some
kind of glue - there are no clamps, no screws, no rubber strain
relief. The traces have a very fine pitch, and the cable is almost too
short to work on. The PCB is single sided, so I could probably drill
two holes and add a clamp with a rubber sandwich, but I need to ensure
that the copper traces make reliable contact. Any suggestions?

BTW, the mechanic that gave me this job was doing a freebie for a
friend. AFAICT, he was trying to cover the empty lamp socket of an
annoying glow plug indicator with black tape.

- Franc Zabkar