Mike Mitchell

Default Will the chancellor cane house owners in the budget?

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:05:37 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:52:59 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

It is. There are only so many midwives. You don't train them overnight.

They can be recruited from overseas just as they are to an extent now.

That is a thoroughly obnoxious suggestion as it is tantamount to
supporting theft. The third world, mainly, will have sacrificed a good
deal in order to train nurses presumably for their own needs, and
Britain, that once great colonial paragon, then poaches them! This is
fair? No, it bloody well is not! Anyone who suggests this course of
action needs a lesson in removing the beam from his own eye first.

The question is why don't people here want to train for this
profession? Working conditions perhaps?

Them, and low wages. But also a lack of any will to achieve in the way
we in Britain stumble from one year to the next, from one decade to
the next. We have been stumbling along, almost since the end of World
War II. I think we are a nation which does not like thinking. We are
too content to wallow in an inferior quality of life and make it seem
better by buying lots of booze and drugs. We probably don't want to
become midwives, because, well, babies are messy little things, aren't
they? All covered in blood and gore when they pop out! Who wants to do
something useful when it's far easier to work in a call centre or
stack tins of beans in Tesco's? It's our attitude to life that is the
problem. We are without ambition. And all the while we have the
"insurance policy" of the third world to call upon to do the jobs
don't want to do, we'll be okay, won't we, won't we...?

MM