NSM

"Rodney Kelp" wrote in message
| If you look inside some power panels the white neutral is connected to the
| same terminal block as the green ground wires.
| What's the diff?

The difference is that it violates code and can result in your insurance
being voided in case of fire or accident. You may also be liable for death
or injury to other persons or loss of property.

This is called a multiple earthed (grounded) neutral system. It is carefully
designed to provide maximum safety for persons and property. The rules are
not arbitrary, not pointless, they are there for a reason. Ask 100
electricians - or 100,000 - and they will all tell you what you are
suggesting is wrong, dangerous and stupid. The neutral is grounded in very
specific places according to very specific rules.

I am a registered electrician as well as an electronics technician (in more
than one country) and I understand this system as well as anyone. You have
been told not to try this and given several reasons why. You have also been
told the right way to proceed. Believe those who advise you - they are
correct. Ask your local electrical inspector if you don't believe us.

If you insist on this foolish procedure, I suggest you practice first by
checking the level of gas in your tank with a lighted match.

NM