CJT

Rodney Kelp wrote:
If you look inside some power panels the white neutral is connected to the
same terminal block as the green ground wires.
What's the diff?

That connection is on the power panel end of the wire is the difference.

There's also a connection to earth ground at that same point.

Consider the possible failure modes at the appliance end of the wire.

It's a _safety_ issue.

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

"Rodney Kelp" writes:

If you have a 2 wire house electrical system what's the difference

between a

3 wire system and installing a 3wire plug and jumping the ground pin to

the

white return line. I see no electrical difference between that and

running a

green wire all the way to the box and connecting it to the same place as

the

return line ground. If you know what I mean.

Functionally, there is little difference. However, safety-wise, they
are a world apart.

Nothing a user can come in contact with should ever be attached to
Hot or Neutral.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm

| Mirror Sites:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the

excessive

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is

ignored.

To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

---