John Fields

On 12 Nov 2004 12:50:52 -0800, (Darren Harris)
wrote:

And that represents the simple version?

It seems that what I need is the same as what one of those racing
watches that record lap times do, but with LCD screen/s as a read-out.

---
Yes, and eminently doable using digital logic.

For a simple timer, the "brute force" way to do it is to use one
counter and a BCD-to-seven-segment decoder with an on-board latch and
LCD driver for each digit. You can also use a single pushbutton
switch to reset the counter to zero and start a new timing interval on
the first push, and then to stop the counter and display the
accumulated time on the second push. You can get a single static
display with four or five LCD digits on it from Digi-Key, so that's no
problem, and you'll also need a decent clock oscillator and a little
glue logic to hold the whole thing together. All those parts are also
available from Digi-Key, and if that's what you want to build, I'll
draw you a schematic. Interested?

--
John Fields