Sam Goldwasser

"James Sweet" writes:

"Jim Adney" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:41:01 -0500 "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

Disassemble the motor and just take in the rotor, so that they don't
have to do any significant work.

IF, it's a wound rotor motor. Most ac rotors are of the squirrel cage
variety.

I was wondering about that. Wouldn't a squirrel cage motor still have
the same magnetic properties? I'm not sure, but I'd bet that such a
rotor would still pass the growler test, but it's hard to imagine a
squirrel cage rotor with a short in it, which, I believe is what the
OP asked about.

Does anyone know if this happens?

I've never even heard of a rotor failure on any type of induction motor,
usually it's the starting switch, capacitor, or bearings that fail. The
stator windings can burn out but it's rare.

The only way a squirrel cage rotor could fail would be for one or more
of the shorting bars to open. A quirrel cage rotor is based on all
the bars being shorted at the end-plates.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.