Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:39:09 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 02:43:10 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Thanks for relating the experience, Andy. The material I picked up
today has too much character to consider turning into a benchtop.
It's got a higher calling...

What higher calling is there? A benchtop is seen, appreciated,
touched, and used on a daily basis.

Figured wood deserves to be seen, not cursed. A bench top needs to be
flat. Dead flat. Forever.

Don't you have assembly tables for that?

That function has beauty in itself. And there are better means of
achieving it than figured wood with a high tangential expansion
coefficient.

Yeah, that 1.148" diameter 0.020" dip could really screw up a glueup.
(If you're one of those who glues on his benchtop.) And it would
really warp that 8/4 stock you're flattening with the little 24"
plane.

I'll score some affordable maple soon enough. And I'll coat it with
Waterlox, in your honor. ;-)

Bueno, bwana.

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.