Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:55:28 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
Man, you drove all the way up 101 to Bragg? That's a long, long trip.
I did it a couple years ago from the northern end, then hit I-5 back.

Up: 101 to Cloverdale, 128 to the coast along the Navarro River, then up 1
to Ft. Bragg. Back: 20 to Willits, 101 south to Petaluma, then over to
Martinez via 37.

I headed up I-5 to O-38 to the coast at Reedsport (I hadn't seen that
section of Oregon yet), then down 101 to C-20 to Bragg, back to 101
from Mendocino, down to Santa Rosa where I got a grand tour of Ed's
cool steam/machine/woodworking/robotics shop (Hi, Ed!), and on down
to Mom's in Valley Jo (aka Vallejo).

I left at 5am for the return trip and went straight up I-5 to avoid
the ghastly summer heat. It had been 100+ on 101. My next truck will
have A/C, P/W, and PDL.

I-5 seems out of the way, unless one is headed to Rogue
River area. ;-) And I-5 is just a super-slab, anyway.

In So Cal, it was 6 lanes of concrete in each direction.
Up here, it's two lanes of blacktop in each direction.
WHAT a difference!

So was this a trip to a friend's shop or an actual class you took
there, Glenn? (Cool either way.)

Classes run six days. I haven't put together the time or cash
simultaneously to take the class yet. Green wood chairmaking.
http://www.mendocinofurniture.com/stalzer.html Great guy. Quite a
character, and quite a craftsperson.

Nice shavehorses. Yummy display wall cabinet. He does nice work.

(I don't know about Lovett
'cuz I haven't heard much of his music at all. 1 movie tune?)

Lyle Lovett's lyrics would fit your sense of humour and irony.
Particularly some of the older stuff. A unique mix of Texas swing, blues,
some gospel, and big band. It sounds better than it describes. And Lyle
is living proof that not all music stars are pretty boys. He's rather
Dylanesque.

Keep your gospel, thanks. The rest sound good.

I took that road from Willits to the coast at full speed. THAT was
fun. A few cars that were on it let two of us pass and we played
the corners all the way. I probably lost about 1,000 miles worth of
tread on that run, but it was a real blast.

You're one of the folks whose way I get out of.

Patriarch

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.