Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Andy Reynolds" wrote:

My father in law has a large wood pile of ash, some larger pieces, but they
have all been there for quite a while and the ends have several cracks. Is
there a chance that any of this wood will be good for turning or would I
just be wasting my time? Even though it's cracked, can I salvage it with CA
or epoxy or something?

I turn a good deal of firewood. End checks are normal. You can try to
pre-cut them off, as has been suggested by others - but I usually don't
bother with that. I simply rough the stick and then see how far in they
go, add 3/4 of an inch or so (2cm) fudge factor for cracks I can't see,
and cut a notch with the parting tool. Sometimes I find the next step
works better if I also waste off a good bit of the cracked end section,
without removing so much as to make what's left wobbly. I then look at
what's left between the parting tool cuts and decide what it's going to
become; or if it doesn't suit my present mission (cracks too long, stick
too short), I set it aside for another day when it might suit, already
pre-roughed to a cylinder, and toss another stick on the lathe.