IMM

Default Will the chancellor cane house owners in the budget?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:05:00 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:00:56 +0000, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

On 16 Feb 2004 02:41:39 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Andrew writes:

If the banks can be hit with windfall profits taxes so can we.

I have another name for windfall taxes. Theft.

But the Royal Bank of Scotland will be announcing a profit this week
of £6 billion! The big four banks are reckoned to have made £50,000
EVERY MINUTE of 2003. This is not what I would call a reasonable rate
of return.

Why?

It is greed, pure and simple.

No it isn't. The objective of any business is to maximise
shareholder return.

Which is wrong.

No it isn't. It is the first objective of any business.

It should be to conduct its business in a professional
manner, do the utmost to fulfil customer satisfaction (quality of product
and service) and keep employee welfare at the highest levels.

That is important as well but it is not the first objective - it can't
be. You need to have fulfilled all or most of the points that you
mention, but they are not an end in and of themselves.

Fulfil the above and returns will be high. The problem is that many
companies put the cart before the horse.

This is a circular argument of course

No it is not. It just means I was right and you were wrong.

A few very highly paid
managers are obtaining vast salaries and perks, while the citizens are
enticed by beautifully made adverts to get ever deeper into debt.

80% of debt is mortgages. Back to land not being re-distributed and a
planning system geared to keep stinking rich, stinking rich, as we all

pay
extortionate prices for box homes.

Yes, dear.

By gad ! he is learning.